Sunday, November 2, 2008

Denial Ain't A River in Egypt

Elections for the mayor of Jerusalem are a little over a week away and I find myself in crisis mode because it turns out my candidate is a big idiot. For months I have been privately campaigning for Nir Barkat, trying to convince everyone I know that he is the man who is going to save Jerusalem from the shtetl politics of the ultra orthodox. He has never attempted to hide the fact that he falls on the right side of the political spectrum (the wrong side, in my opinion) but I had heretofore been willing to forgive his misguided understanding of national issues because he has many of the qualities imperative for a mayor to take Jerusalem where it needs to go: he's a dedicated Zionist, a good businessman, he has an impressive record of activism in educational initiatives, he's got some good contacts in the eastern part of the city and he has a long-term plan with well-defined goals.

But now it seems I've been overruled. Barkat made a visit to the east Jerusalem village of Anatot with some right-wing extremists this week and promised them he would build a new Jewish neighborhood there if he wins the election. In the wake of what can easily be understood as a provocation, Haaretz ran an editorial urging the large left-wing parties to withdraw their support for Barkat. Until now I have suggested tolerating a right-wing statement or two but Barkat's gesture of support to people who represent some of the most divisive and belligerent approaches to Jerusalem is appalling. It's not only the political statement, but the fact that he made it knowing it would infuriate one of his most loyal circles of supporters. Does he think we're all stupid, or is this a desperate attempt to woo right-wing voters away from the ultra orthodox candidate? The educated, secular, left-leaning Jerusalemites, although a fast-disappearing minority in the city demographic, are amongst this town's most loyal voters. If Barkat thinks he can afford to lose us then he is not who I thought he was.

Last night I attended a cultural event of the above-mentioned demographic and people spoke in hushed tones about how Barkat will never be able to win now. I'm very regretful that when I attended that parlor meeting with him several weeks ago, together with a roomful of people like me, no one knew to put him squarely on the spot and extract a clear statement about his right-wing intentions. He cannot be oblivious to the damage he has inflicted on his campaign and I am waiting for a statement from him to put me at ease. The bottom line is that I will still vote for him because even a right-wing jerk is preferable to an ultra-orthodox mayor, but at the moment I am bitterly disappointed in what I thought was an excellent candidate. Tomorrow night I will attend a Meretz meeting and see what all the big shots have to say about this.

No comments: